- In the US, 1 in 4 kids - 17 MILLION KIDS! - don't know when or where their next meal will come from
- Only 1 in 6 eligible kids in the US get free summer meals.
- Less than half of the eligible kids get free or reduce-priced school breakfasts.
- Hunger has serious, long-term effects on kid's health. They're sick more often, recover slower, and at statistically far greater risk for obesity and diabetes.
- Hunger significantly impedes kid's ability to learn and predisposes them to consequential emotional and behavioral issues.
Share Our Strength is an organization whose goal is to end childhood hunger in America by 2015. While a bold undertaking, Craig and I have faith it is achievable. Cooking Matters, the program I volunteer as a chef, is a vital component in winning this fight. We teach participants - kids, teen moms, adults, seniors - how to plan and prepare nutritious, delicious, and affordable foods at home. As food bloggers, this is something we do effortlessly. Not so for the 50 MILLION Americans who are food insecure.
As warriors, next weekend Kimberly at Rhubarb and Honey and a few other St. Louis food bloggers have organized the St. Louis
If you are interested in joining the fight to end childhood hungers, join us!
- Bake with us! Any from-scratch baked goods (cakes, cookies, brownies, pies, breads, cupcakes, candy) are welcome at the sale. If you want to bake, please drop Kimberly an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Not a baker but love to EAT? Then come and BUY the goodies for sale. They're guaranteed to be delicious, and you'll supporting a tremendous cause.
- This is a nationwide effort, so check out the Food Blogger Bake Sales by state to get involved in a bake sale near you.