“Zucchini mash. Now that’s a new one.” – Craig Evans

I’ve conceded. The zucchini and yellow squash in the CSA box win. We’ve eaten either – or both. Every. Day. Since the first week of June. I am not joking. It’s too much. My body is craving other vegetables. It’s made me obsessed to find exciting, innovative, and creative ways to use this stuff. Because – again – our CSA mantra is that we can’t let anything go to waste. So let me recount what we’ve done with it. Chilled zucchini soup. Yellow squash and corn-cheddar chowder. Stuffed and baked with onions and peppers as a side, and stuffed/baked with ground bison, marinara, and mozzarella as an entree. Zucchini-chorizo frittata. Zuc lasagna (zucs thinly sliced and used as noodles). Zucchini hummus. Grated:  marinated in balsamic and fresh mozz as a salad; with marinara as “spaghetti;” baked in fritters and pancakes; zucchini chocolate cake; and zucchini spice muffins. We’ve also frozen 15 cups of it shredded. I thought I was done. I’ll stow whatever other zuc we get on a neighbor’s porch in the dark of the night. Do let me know if you’d like any of the recipes above.

Until yesterday when I read this month’s Eating Well magazine. I saw an idea for something I’ve never done with it. Mash it. With cheese, similarly like you do with cauliflower. It’s super easy and fast to prepare. Since zuc becomes quite soft when cooked, it’s a natural to be mashed. Craig was questionable but decided – what’s one more way to have zucchini? Until we tasted it. This mashed zuc is good. Really good. A tremendous way to use more of the ubiquitous zucchini. Until next time. I guess that’s tomorrow.
Zucchini Chile-Cheddar Mash
Serves 4

1 T olive oil
1 1/4 pounds zucchini (about 2-3 medium) halved lengthwise and sliced
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 4.5-ounce can diced green chiles, drained
1 t cumin
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1/2 C grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add zucchini, onion, and cumin; stir to coat. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until very soft and lightly browned, 12 to 15 minutes. Stir in chiles, salt, and pepper; cook until heated through, 1 minute more.
Transfer to a medium bowl. Mash with a potato masher until chunky, not completely smooth. Stir in cheese and serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails