Secret Recipe Club for March – Really Really Good Creamy Shrimp with Gnocchi and Veggies

For this month’s Secret Recipe Club, I was assigned Canela Kitchen. Gloria is a blogger from Santiago, Chile, which was a lot of fun for me since we were there in December. She has many interesting recipes, particularly healthy desserts based on yogurt and ice creams, cupcakes and muffins, jams (I bookmarked a few of these since my last jam experience yielded concrete), authentic Chilean recipes, and not surprising, seafood. Chile, with its long coast line, is rich with crab, shrimp, salmon, and many that were new to us – corvina, reineta, and congrio, among others. All of Gloria’s recipes are in both English and Spanish, and she has a large following, with good reason. It was difficult to choose a recipe, but I finally settled on ricotta gnocchi with creamy shrimp and caramelized onions. It is easy to see Gloria really enjoys blogging and good food. So glad SRC introduced me to her!

It did not disappoint since it was not only very tasty, it was a snap to put together. Her recipe includes making homemade ricotta that is used in the gnocchi, but I had homemade ricotta gnocchi in the freezer. The recipe below reflects the changes I made in throwing in mushrooms, red bell pepper, and broccoli to make it, with a green salad, a complete meal. It would also work with spring asparagus. I didn’t have turmeric so I substituted a pinch of saffron, which gives the dish a beautiful color. Connor has always contented the addition of sugar is needed for caramelizing onions, but I have always done this just using butter or olive oil. He’s right. Not only does it quicken the time required, the onions achieve a nicer caramel color. 

Thanks, Gloria, this was truly delicious. 
Creamy Shrimp with Ricotta Gnocchi and Vegetables
Serves 4

1 T butter
1 large onion, thinly sliced
1 t brown sugar
6 mushrooms, sliced
1/2 a red bell pepper, diced
2 cups broccoli florets, cut to bite-size
20 peeled and deveined large shrimp
3 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
3 T half-and-half
1 teaspoon paprika
1 pinch saffron
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 T prepared basil pesto
1/4 C grated Parmesan cheese

Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in the onion and brown sugar. Cook and stir until the onions have cooked to a deep brown color, about 10 minutes. Remove the caramelized onions and set aside.
Add the mushrooms, red bell pepper, and broccoli and sauté until softened (the broccoli should still be brightly colored).

Fill a large pot with lightly salted water and bring to a rolling boil over high heat. Once the water is boiling, stir in the gnocchi and return to a boil. Cook until the gnocchi floats to the top, about 3 minutes; drain, and keep warm.

Place the skillet over medium-high heat, and stir in the shrimp. Cook and stir until the shrimp are pink and no longer translucent in the center, about 5 minutes. Add the caramelized onions and other vegetables.

Add the sour cream, half-and-half, paprika, saffron, and pesto. Cook and stir until the mixture begins to simmer, then gently add the other vegetables and the gnocchi. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Pour the gnocchi into a serving dish, and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese to serve.

Print Recipe

23 comments:

  1. Nice to see a savory take for the Secret Recipe Club, this looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I had homemade ricotta gnocchi in the freezer." I want your freezer! Good recipe - and an interesting note about sugar and caramelizing onions. It does speed up things - otherwise (for me, at least) it takes close to half an hour to get that rich, deep brown. Good post - thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alanna, thanks. Alot of the SRC recipes are a bit too much baking or sweets for me, and I almost always do something savory.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kitchen Riffs, I am behind but have a fab recipe from the February Bon Appetit for a riff on chicken and dumplings (ricotta gnocchi) that is a killer recipe - but makes a TON of gnocchi.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds excellent! I've been meaning to pick up saffron but haven't. I'll keep this for sure, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Debbi, for sure pick up saffron. A big pricey, but a little goes a long way. Such a wonderful, unique flavor. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was just craving gnocchi yesterday. This sounds so delicious! On my list to make. Great being a part of SRC with you. Would love you to stop by and check out my Mango Avocado Salsa from my assigned blogger, Jeanette's Healthy Living. =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jenny, thanks for stopping by. Agreed, SRC is a great way to be exposed to so many blogs and recipes.

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow Denise, look at you! this recipe look absolutely amazing dear!!! Im glad you like it!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Savory for the win, with SHRIMP! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Denise,
    This is a fabulous recipe that I can't wait to make, we will just love it. It is fun cooking with you on the SRC and have a great week!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  12. How fun that your blogger is from an area you visited recently. This dish looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gloria, I loved your blog. We loved being in Chile! Hiking in Patagonia - Torre del Paine - was the highlight of our three weeks.

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  14. Angie, yep, the shrimp were delish -and- savory. Thanks for stopping by.

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks, Julie. If you've never been to Chile, put it on your bucket list. Gorgeous countryside in Patagonia (hiking), and we had a nice visit in Santiago.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Miz Helen, thanks for stopping by. SRC is a wonderful way to find new food blogs and recipes.

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great looking recipe and your shrimp and gnocchi look creamy delicious.

    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my Group 'A' SRC entry: Broiled Sushi.

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks great! We do a lot of shrimp in this household. I'm stopping by from Secret Recipe Club. I hope you'll swing by Seasonalpotluck.com March is artichoke month! http://bit.ly/zRfNjo I'd love if you'd link up your artichoke recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That looks like an excellent sauce. I've never seen saffron with pasta. I can only imagine how it changes the flavour. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've been wanting to attempt to make my own gnocchi. This looks like a great recipe to start with (:

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love that you had homemade ricotta gnocci tucked away in the freezer! I love that you use Penzey's spices. I love all the wonderful items you added. Great post!

    I hope you'll stop by and visit my SRC post for Chewy Oatmeal Raisin and Almond Cookies

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  22. i never think to put fish/shellfish with gnocchi - what a clever idea! and the addition of the saffron is very nice, albeit pricey ;)

    happy src reveal from a group D member!

    ReplyDelete
  23. it sounds really really good! wow shrimp with gnocchi is just a great idea

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails