Buffalo Sloppy Joes for Secret Recipe Club

For this month's Secret Recipe Club, I knew Buffalo would be the recipe. SRC is where each member is assigned another participant’s blog, selects a recipe, makes it, then blogs about it, with all entries posting on the same day, I was assigned Debbi Does Dinner. Debbi’s blog is full of dinner recipes that are not only delicious and filling but nutritious. I debated between the Buffalo chicken stuffed shells, the Buffalo chicken shepherd’s pie, Buffalo chickpea patties (how cool!), and sloppy Buffalo Joes. Are you sensing a theme here? She and I (and those we cook for) obviously share a love of hot and spicy! Being a Weight Watcher, I appreciate that Debbi focuses on easy, healthy recipes.
Buffalo Sloppy Joe
With it being 100+ degrees in St. Louis for nine consecutive days and counting, I finally decided on something simple for lunch and went with the sloppy Buffalo Joes. No matter how sophisticated your palate, sometimes nothing hits the spot like a sloppy Joe. Total comfort food. Even Garde Manger Chef Connor asked me to set some aside for him to have when he gets off work tonight. This was a good choice. Actually, a great choice. These have a nice amount of smoky spicy kick from Frank’s Wing Sauce, and next time I may add a bit more of it. Based on a Rachael Ray recipe, Debbi cautions the original directions result in a soupy mess, so I reduced the liquid (tomato sauce and omitted the chicken stock altogether) even further from Debbi’s recipe because we like our sloppy Joes thick thick. I used grass-fed ground beef (but ground chicken or turkey would work well too) and sure wished I had celery in the house to add to give it a bit more crunchy and authentic “Buffalo” style. I added the optional ingredients of diced homemade dill pickles and half a wedge of my new fave Laughing Cow blue cheese. I'm don't know if this was one of Rachel Ray's 30 minutes meals, but it qualifies. Very easy to pull together for a fast and dinner or lunch. Thanks, Debbi for such a tasty, healthy, and super simple sandwich!

The recipe below reflects my changes.

Sloppy Buffalo Joes
Makes 8 4-ounce sandwiches

2 pounds grass-fed ground beef (or ground chicken breast or ground turkey breast)
1 carrot, peeled and chopped or grated
1 yellow onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 T red wine vinegar
2 T brown sugar
1 T Worcestershire sauce
1/3 C hot sauce (recommended: Frank's Red Hot)
1/2 C tomato sauce
8 good quality burger rolls, split and toasted
1 wedge Laughing Cow cup blue cheese wedge per sandwich
Dill pickles, chopped
Heat a large skillet with extra-virgin olive oil over medium-high heat. Add meat and break it up with wooden spoon, cook 5 to 6 minutes. Add in carrots, onions, and garlic, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, cook 7 to 8 minutes more. In a bowl combine the vinegar, sugar, Worcestershire, hot sauce, and tomato sauce. Pour into the pan and stir to combine. Simmer a few minutes more.

Pile sloppy Buffalo filling onto buns and top with blue cheese and chopped pickles.

25 comments:

  1. Sold! I'm with you (and Debbie)--i love buffalo flavored anything! These will be great for football season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AnonymousJuly 17, 2012

      Thanks, Colleen. These would be great for a tailgate, easy, and based on playing around with the amount of Buffalo sauce, kid-friendly too.

      Delete
  2. Gosh, I haven't had sloppy joes in years! Darn you, Denise, now I'm hungry for these! The "Buffalo" idea is really great. I've never tried Frank's Red Hot sauce (do I lead a sheltered life, or what?) - need to get some. Fun recipe - thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AnonymousJuly 17, 2012

      Get out. No Buffalo sauce? Ever? I know what we're bringing for a host gift when we come for dinner!

      Delete
  3. I love this twist on classic sloppy joes! It looks really tasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AnonymousJuly 17, 2012

      Thanks for stopping by Heather. These were really good, healthy too.

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad you liked these! They are one of our favorites. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AnonymousJuly 17, 2012

      Debbi, LOVE your blog. So many healthy, family- and budget-friendly recipes. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  5. Lots of good spices in this recipe. Bet it tastes great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AnonymousJuly 17, 2012

      Judee, yes, these were really flavorful. Thanks for reading SRC.

      Delete
  6. I agree that nothing hits the spot like a good sloppy joe. Sometimes I love "fancy" food but more often I'd prefer to eat comfort food like this. Great pick for the SRC!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AnonymousJuly 17, 2012

      Thanks, LaPhemmePhoodie. While my blog has some of the "fancy", you always need a good repository of comfort to reply on, especially for busy weeknight dinners.

      Delete
  7. I know there are lots of "Buffalo" XXXX recipes, however, this one has an advantage - it's portable. You could even make a burrito out of it. I'm still debating which Buffalo-inspired recipe I'm going to eventually try (macaroni, dip, etc...) and this will likely be at the top of my list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AnonymousJuly 17, 2012

      Daniel, I appreciate and look forward to your comment every round of SRC! I agree; one can never have too many Buffalo XXXX recipes. I think I have recipes in almost every "category" but dessert. Humm, need to be on the look out for such. Truffles perhaps?

      Delete
  8. I agree with Daniel... I love the portability of this recipe. So yummy sounding

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AnonymousJuly 17, 2012

      Vivian, as Collen above mentioned, these would be perfect for a tailgate because they are so portable. Thanks for taking a look.

      Delete
  9. Sloppy Joes has always been a favorite of mine ever since I was a kid in school. It took me years to find a recipe close to the ones I had believe it or not, in my grade school cafeteria. I mean I LOVE sloppy joes. Never once did it occur to me to heat them with hot sauce but I'm sure my hubby would love them.

    Thanks for sharing this recipe and the changes you made to them as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AnonymousJuly 17, 2012

      Vicki, you have to try these, but they will be different than those we got in the grade school cafeteria (served on a white hamburger bun and a side of peas and carrots!) -- at least I never had anything this exotic /spicy when I was a kid.

      Delete
  10. Yummy, these look like a great twist on an old classic!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Denise,
    I just love Debbi's recipes, they are always good. This is a great recipe and looks delicious. Great selection for SRC!
    Miz Helen
    Group B SRC

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog. Always great to meet a fellow midwesterner!! I love your blog. I will be following along. I too have more cookbooks than I can count. I wish I used them more, I seem to turn, too often, to the internet.

    These looks delicious, I love the new take on sloppy joes!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These look lip-smackingly delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't tried sloppy joes before. Must try.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Buffalo anything is a hit in our home, I'm going to give your recipe a try, looks delicious.

    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my group "A" SRC entry: Double Chocolate Mousse Cake.

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love sloppy joes, but this is the first Buffalo version I've seen. These sound incredibly delicious.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails