Chicken in Tomatillo Sauce



For March’s Secret Recipe Club, I was assigned Chelsey’s Mangia blog. Need a tangy-spicy dinner that comes together in minutes? While the color may be a bit Army-ish green, this is tasty enough to be served mid-week to company for a wonderful TexMex dinner. We love the tang of tomatillos, and I added a chipotle for a hint of smoky heat. Chelsey made it with fish, but it works nicely over chicken breasts like I prepared it.

My impression of Chelsey, a 20-something Italian-American Texan who loves cooking, baking, her family, and fitness, is one high energy young woman. She is an inspiration not only with the amount of wonderful recipes she’s amassed on her blog, some savory and lots of sweets, but I was touched reading her post about her struggles – and good news! – recovery – from an eating disorder. I’m not sure I could speak so outwardly about such, and I found it heartening that she now openly shares her love of food – and her enjoyment in eating healthy, delicious food.

The recipe below reflects the changes I made.
Chicken (or Fish) in Tomatillo Sauce
2 servings

1 cup (or so) coarsely chopped tomatillos
1/2 onion, coarsely chopped
1 large poblano chile, stemmed, seeded, and coarsely chopped
1 chipotle in adobe sauce
1/4 cup packed, coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 to 1/3 cup light sour cream
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 boneless chicken breasts (or mild fish filets)

Combine tomatillos, onion, peppers, chopped cilantro, and sour cream in a blender. Whirl until smoothly pureed. Pour green sauce into a sauté pan; add lime juice.

Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Nestle chicken into the sauce, and bring to a boil over high heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat, and simmer until the chicken is cooked through, 22 to 25 minutes.

With a wide spatula, transfer to plates and spoon sauce over portions, sprinkle with cilantro leaves.




2 comments:

  1. Gosh, I bet this has a nice flavor. I think this would be terrific with fish (the chicken too, but the fish just seems to speak to me). Good stuff! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm on a tomatillo kick lately -this would be delish with fish!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails