Korean Style London Broil and the Secret Recipe Club

For this month’s Secret Recipe Club where food bloggers are assigned another member’s blog “in secret” and select and prepare a recipe that is then shared on a designated reveal day. I was fortunate to have been assigned Hezzi Ds Books and Cooks. Heather (aka Hezzi D, her hubby’s rock & roll nickname for her, which made me chuckle) just celebrated her first year of blogging, and she has been quite busy based on the number of posts about both food and books. Her blog is filled with many delicious recipes, and I particularly enjoyed her 2011 canning inventory. It’s obvious she enjoys baking too with numerous sweet treats (33 chocolate recipes!), but I was intrigued with the “best of” list she posted on her blog’s anniversary that features her favorite recipes from the last year. I debated between the jalapeno popper dip and Korean Short Ribs and finally settled on the short ribs.

The only problem was when I went to pull the ribs from the freezer, I figured out Connor had grilled all we had when I was travelling on business a few weeks ago. With a quick Google search, I realized London broil can be substituted for boneless short ribs, and we were in business. I’m learning how to cook lean, grass-fed beef, and my research indicates it does best with a long, low temp, slow cook (such as in the slow cooker as with this recipe), or braised, or done with a high temp for a quick sear. I’ve also discovered grass fed beef benefits greatly from a marinade, so I soaked the beef in the sauce portion of the recipe overnight in the frig to both tenderize it and impart additional moisture in the meat. The house smelled divine by the end of the day, and the flavor of the sauce was outstanding, a mix of Asian and barbeque. I also added onions, bell peppers, and tomatoes to make it a more well-rounded pot dish. We served it over Udon noodles and with Korean coleslaw as a side. Leftovers make fantastic bulgogi-like sandwiches for lunch the next day. The recipe below reflects the changes I made. And I will get around to making the jalapeno popper dip soon. Thanks Hezzi D for such inspirational recipes.
Korean Style London Broil
Serves 4

1/2 C. soy sauce
1/2 C. packed light brown sugar
2 T. sesame oil
3 T. rice wine vinegar
2 T. fresh ginger, minced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 C. water
1 t. red pepper flakes
1 t. ground ginger
1 t. freshly ground black pepper
1 pound London broil or boneless beef short ribs
2 medium onions, sliced
2 bell peppers, coarsely chopped
2 tomatoes, coarsely chopped or 1 14ounce can tomatoes
Sesame seeds
2 green onions, sliced (I forgot these)

Score the London broil.

Mix the soy sauce, brown sugar, sesame oil, vinegar, fresh ginger, garlic, and water in the a small bowl, stirring until the brown sugar is well incorporated.  Sprinkle in the red pepper, ginger, and black pepper.  Mix well. Place the meat and sauce in a heavy duty Ziploc and refrigerate over night.







Scatter half the onion slices on the bottom of the slow cooker. Cover with the London broil and spoon the sauce over top the meat. Cover with remaining onions, bell pepper, and tomatoes. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
Remove the meat (which I shredded with two forks) from the slow cooker and serve over Asian noodles or rice. Top with green onions

25 comments:

  1. The beef looks really tender and succulent. You've got me hungry all over again ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yet another great looking Korean or Korean-style recipe that looks awesome. Great job on that - I wish it was lunchtime already! Mmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bulgogi sandwiches sound fantastic. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! Visiting from SRC. Even at 730 in the am this looks amazing! Thanks for the tip about London Broil and short ribs. Short ribs are hard to find at the regular grocery store!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks so delicious! I looooove how tender slow cooked meat gets. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful sounding sauce for your meat.

    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my Group 'A" ~ SRC recipe this month: Cilantro Lime Chicken

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  7. YUM...looks delish! I found you through SRC...I'm a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you liked it! I never thought of substituting London Broil-what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks delicious!!! Great choice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks delicious! I love a good meal like this, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks fantastic! Is there anything better than beef braised in sweet soy sauce? Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  12. That sauce sounds fantastic. I am all over slow cooker recipes. Can't wait to give this a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That looks fabulous. Absolutely mouthwatering. I'm hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I too am learning all about BBQ'ing and cooking steak, so it comes out perfect! (If only my husband we come along with me... he thinks the way he does it, is just fine)! :-)

    Thanks again for being a part of SRC! I just now finished linky everyone and organizing and now I get to visit everyone's blog, THIS IS THE FUN PART!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my! This sounds amazing - might have to put it on the dinner list for next week! Great choice for the SRC =)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm always looking for a new way to do a roast - I'll have to give this one a shot!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great recipe pick for the Secret Recipe Club. This sounds like an amazing meal. I would love to give this a try sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great pick for the SRC. This looks really yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  19. A big THANKS for all the great comments.

    This was a great recipe that I never would have found without SRC. Even more significant is that I never would have met so many fantastic food bloggers without SRC!! I am honored to be included in this distinguished group.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Way to redirect! That is the sign of a good cook, right? It looks delicious. Love SRC!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sounds fabulous -- I love dishes that take things I grew up with (london broil was popular in my house) and puts a new ethnic twist on them (korean food was definitely not available in my small town).

    ReplyDelete
  22. This looks so good, Denise! And the flavors are right up my and Chuck's alley ... can't wait to make it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Kimberly, thanks. This is an awesome way to cook grass-fed beef, something I'm in the learning phase of doing. Hugs to you and Chuck!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is the perfect dinner!
    Stopping by from SRC Group C. Awesome to be in the Secret Recipe Club with you. Here is my post for August :) http://su.pr/1Sizv9

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails